Hey there, want to use Gmail as your External Email Server for Odoo. Don’t look any further you are on the right page. Yess, it is possible to use Gmail and Yahoo as the incoming and outgoing email server in Odoo. Odoo Enterprise and Community Edition need you to have your own outgoing email server. However, when using the free trial online version of Odoo, you do not need to configure your email server.You can use ready to use Odoo server which is @mycompany.odoo.com
Note:Office 365 email servers do not allow you to send external emails from Odoo.
Why do you need to configure External Email Server?
Suppose you want to use your own Yahoo or Gmail account for sending and receiving emails then we need to configure External Email Servers in Odoo. It will be possible for you to send your company reports like quotations, invoices from your Gmail id. By the time you finish reading this, you will be able to configure Gmail as your incoming and outgoing email server.To get the right message to the right person at the right time you first need to get the right data to the right database at the right time ~ John Caldwell Click To Tweet
For this, you need to go to your general settings and add your server details. If you are unsure about your email server details you can google it. For example, I want all my outgoing emails from my Gmail account.I will just google Gmail outgoing email server
In Odoo, go to Settings -> General Settings. Select External Email Server
Setting up the outgoing email server
- Click on Outgoing Email Server
- Here, you will see the list of all the Outgoing Email Servers. Click on Create to create a new Outgoing Email Server.
- In the Description, give the name as Gmail.
- Under Connection Information, give our SMTP server name i.e smtp.gmail.com. This is the pointer to the SMTP of your server.
- Give the priority of your email server as 1. Higher priority is denoted by lower number i.e. the email Server with the lowest number will be used the most.
- Port of the SMTP server. Give port as 465 for Gmail.
- Choose SSL/TLS for Gmail as your type of security.
- Username: Your email account, for example, I send all my company emails using email@example.com
- Password will be your Gmail account password.
- Click on test connection.
Note: If Connection is successful then we are done.However, if you have disabled some security settings for less secure apps in your Gmail account you might not be able to connect Odoo to your Gmail mail server. Make sure you allow less secure apps to access your Gmail account. You can do that by going to your account settings.
Setting up the incoming email server
- Click on Incoming Email Server
- Here, you will see the list of all the Incoming Email Servers. Click on Create to create a new Incoming Email Server.
- Give the name as Gmail.
- Server type can be selected as IMAP, POP or local. Gmail uses either POP3 or IMAP to fetch emails.
- Again here you will need your Server Details.For Gmail, we will use SMTP server address as imap.gmail.com. If you are using POP then you might want to use pop.gmail.com.
- IMAP uses Port 993 and POP uses Port 995.
- Tick SSL/TLS for encrypted emails.
- Provide your Gmail login Credentials i.e. Username as your Email and Password will be your Gmail Password.
- Test your Connection and Save your record.
Note: By default, all your mails will be fetched after every 1 Hour. You can change this by going to Settings and activating the developer mode. Then go to Automation -> Scheduled Actions and Edit Email Queue Manager. Change Interval as per your choice and you will be done.
I hope this post has helped you to configure your External Email Server for Odoo.